Skirt steak is easily one of the most slept on cuts of beef you can grill at home. Tender, flavorful and easy to cook, lets jump in a see how to get it done!
Want to see the details? Watch the video!
For the Skirt Steak:
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Chimichurri Seasoning:
- 1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to your spice preference)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Skirt Steak:
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. This mixture will be your marinade.
- Place the skirt steak in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over it, ensuring it's evenly coated.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours to let the flavors infuse.
2. Make the Chimichurri Seasoning:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the finely chopped parsley, cilantro, minced garlic, red onion, and red chili pepper.
- Add the dried oregano and red pepper flakes for that extra kick.
- Pour in the red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil, then mix well.
- Season your chimichurri with salt and pepper to taste, and set it aside. The longer it sits, the more flavorful it becomes, so it's a good idea to make it in advance.
3. Preheat the Grill:
- Preheat your grill to high heat (around 450-500°F or 230-260°C) and oil the grates to prevent sticking.
4. Grill the Skirt Steak:
- Remove the skirt steak from the marinade and let any excess drip off.
- Place the steak on the hot grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or adjust the cooking time to your desired doneness.
- Once cooked, transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and ensures a juicy steak.
5. Slice and Serve:
- After the resting period, slice the grilled skirt steak against the grain into thin strips. This ensures tenderness.
- Arrange the slices on a platter and drizzle generously with the chimichurri seasoning.
- Serve your grilled skirt steak with chimichurri alongside your favorite sides, like grilled vegetables or a fresh salad.
Conclusion: Grilled skirt steak with chimichurri seasoning is a fantastic choice for a summer gathering or any time you want a mouthwatering meal. The smoky, juicy steak combined with the vibrant and zesty chimichurri sauce is a match made in culinary heaven. So fire up that grill and get ready to impress your friends and family with this delicious recipe! Enjoy!
Want to be comfortable while you make it? Pick up a Grillslingers T-Shirt!