Pulled Pork is a BBQ staple and there's a few different ways to do it.... We like ours.
Is there really anything better than a pulled pork sandwich? Sure, its a straight forward endeavor but when everything hits right, its damn hard to beat. We paired this with the Jalapeno slaw recipe and a crazy good margarita, but you can dress it up however you want.
Want a visual guide? Watch the video!
- 1 Boston Butt / Pork Shoulder Bone In, 6-8lbs
- 1 Recipe Grillslingers’ Jalapeno Slaw (or slaw of choice)
- 1 Recipe Grillslingers’ Jarritos BBQ Sauce (or sauce of choice)
- 8tbsp Grillslingers’ “Nice Rub Bro” Sweet Rub (or sweet rub of choice)
- 1 bottle Jarritos either Tamarindo/Cola/Mandarin (or beverage of choice)
- Your choice of buns (we used brioche buns)
- Set smoker to 275° indirect heat
- Start on the fat side of the pork shoulder. Remove the false fat cap and expose the inner fat cap. Make a ¼ slice in a cross hatch pattern through the fat cap.
- Flip over and remove any excess fat and silverskin off the lean side. Be sure to check for any excess cartilage or loose bone and remove.
- Rinse off shoulder and pat dry, then apply Jarritos soda as a binder. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Apply rub generously, being sure to cover all sides of shoulder. Don’t insert your thermometer yet.
- Place meat in the smoker with the fat side facing away from the heat source and close lid. Set a timer for 2-3hrs and spritz with leftover Jarritos soda every 30 min.
- After bark begins to set, insert thermometer into thickest part of shoulder and wrap shoulder in butcher paper. Place in a foil tray. Raise smoker temp up to 350
- Once roast hits 203 internal, remove from smoker. Wrap tray with foil and let rest for 1hr
- Remove foil & butcher paper and go to town, shredding meat to your preferred consistency. Add sauce at this point to meat.
- Build sandwich with bottom bun, meat, a little more sauce, then slaw and bun. Devour.
Want to be comfortable while you make it? Pick up a Grillslingers Hoodie!