What's more California than Tri-tip?
The first thing that most people think about when it comes to California barbecue; Santa Maria style grilling. Open flame, live oak, tri tip, sausage and all the goods to go with it. It might not be the strongest most regional style but it is iconic in and of itself. You wont find it anywhere else! Here's our spin on it:
Want to see the details? Watch the video!
- 1 untrimmed tri tip, 3-4lbs
- Seasoning of choice (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic all good here. I'll be honest I forgot the recipe and at the time I'm typing this the video is still uploading so I promise I'll come back and fix this at some point
- For the salsa, use this: https://www.seriouseats.com/santa-maria-style-salsa-recipe. Its legit.
- Season the tri tip at least 30min prior to cooking
- Get a roaring fire going in your grill (I used a Webber with an elevated grill top), then cook to your preferred temp. Keep flipping as needed, don't let the outside get to charred.
- Serve with salsa, tortilla, bolillo or whatever you want. It's gonna be bomb no matter what.
Want to be comfortable while you make it? Pick up a Grillslingers T-Shirt!