Why pick one or the other, when you can have it both ways? We smoked some shucked oysters, then battered and fried them to golden perfection. Full of salty briny goodness and even with some sauces to boot!
Want to see the walkthrough? We got it right here!
- 4 lbs shucked oysters, clean and ready to cook
- SPG rub of choice
- Tempura Batter Mix (kikkoman works here)
For the Sauces
- Hot Butter
- 1 cup melted clarified butter
- Hot Sauce to Taste (Tobasco)
- Garlic Aioli (credit Serious Eats)
1 egg yolk
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup canola, vegetable, or light olive oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine 1 cup clarified butter with hot sauce to taste and set aside
For the Aioli, combine 1 egg yolk. Garlic. Lemon juice into food processor and combine. While running, SLOWLY drizzle in the canola oil (or light olive oil) to combine, then remove to another bowl and whisk in the EVO. Set aside
Be sure that oysters are clean and free of debris. Set on a baking tray or foil and place into the lowest temperature possible on your smoker for 30-60 minutes. Once completed, remove and let cool
Bring a pot of oil or deep fryer up to temperature
Dip oysters into prepared batter and fry until golden, dusting with SPG rub upon removal
Want to look like a BOSS while you fire this up? Grab a set of flip flops to go with it! Just be careful with the oil.